From design for environment R&D to certifications to community outreach, our planet is our responsibility. We recognize that in order to thrive, we must give back to our community and be respectful of the impact we have on the planet. Whether it’s community service, utilizing a Design for Environment new product process, or constructing our own facilities to LEED standards, Nucraft team members drive sustainable solutions throughout our business.
Nucraft supports responsible environmental policies and practices. In every business decision, we consider the ecological, social and economic effects, and here are some examples:
- We buy hardwood veneers grown in U.S. forests managed for sustainable yields
- Our finishes are formulated for employee safety and low-environmental impact
- We meet, and often exceed, all government emissions standards
- Our Environmental Management System (EMS) practices reduce waste and promote recycling throughout our workplace
- We contribute corporate resources to organizations that share our respect and commitment to the environment
Our products are manufactured to meet one or more of the following credit requirements of the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Rating Systems. (Please reference individual Environmental Statements for product-specific attributes)
- Credit MR 4.1 - Recycled Content (10%)
- Credit MR 4.2 - Recycled Content (20%)
- Credit EQ 4.5 - Low Emitting Materials: Systems Furniture and Seating
- Credit MR 6 - Rapidly Renewable Materials (5%)
- Credit MR 7 - Certified Wood (50%)
- Detailed Environmental Statements that document the exact percentages for each product line can be downloaded by clicking here.
The California Air Resource Board (CARB) enacted the world’s most sweeping restrictions on emissions of formaldehyde, a cancer-causing chemical found in many wood-based furniture products. The restrictions reduced by 60% the allowable formaldehyde emissions from the resin or glue used to bond plywood, particleboard, and medium density fiberboard. All products sold, used or manufactured for sale in California that contain hardwood plywood, particleboard, medium density fiberboard and thin medium density fiberboard must meet emissions limits specified in California Code of Regulations, Title 17, 93120.2.
All products manufactured by Nucraft comply with the CARB regulation. To learn more, click on the link below titled “CARB Quick Reference”. To download a letter from Nucraft confirming our compliance with the CARB regulation, click on the document titled "CARB Letter 2009".
When designing our new headquarters, we wanted more than just a functional workspace. We wanted a building reflective of Nucraft’s values and our commitment to LEED standards. Click on the documents below for a summary of how we attained LEED-NC silver certification and for a brochure highlighting the green elements of our new offices.
This policy communicates Nucraft’s commitment to sustainability with a focus on sustainable design, managing energy consumption and chemical usage.
This policy applies to all associates, facilities, products and corporate actions of Nucraft Furniture Co, and supports our commitment to the environment, chemical management, energy and conservation management, material usage, and sustainable design practices.
Nucraft will strive to have a positive effect on the environment, respect human rights, promote social consciousness, and create economic value for our stakeholders, while adhering to all Federal, State and Local regulations and laws regarding emissions, pollution, or waste removal.
In pursuit of this policy, Nucraft commits to the following:
- Create a documented infra-structure to manage our sustainability initiatives
- Create effective metrics and goals to monitor usage, coordinate efforts for reduction for energy and material waste
- Evaluate water, material and energy efficiencies and usage and eliminate non-value consumption
- Integrate material, chemical and energy reductions and environmental initiatives into Continuous Improvement program
- Develop a Design for the Environment protocol and create measurements to monitor effectiveness and integrate life-cycle analysis into new product development
- Design and manufacture products that have a long useful life, can withstand repeated service repair and handling, and have standardized product parts and components available to facility maintenance, servicing, and reassembly
- Maintain FSC® certification
- Develop associate awareness and responsibility to the environmental impact of material waste and how to support through recycling
- Monitor landfill waste and coordinate efforts for reduction with 100% diversion as the goal
- All standard safety measures will be employed and enforced as applicable
- MSDS sheets will be kept on file and revised as processes and/or products are changed or introduced
- Air quality monitoring shall be performed within the manufacturing facility as required to identify the appropriate level of handling and safety measures
- Adhere to all Federal, State or Local regulations with respect to material and chemical usage and its disposal, air emissions, energy and environmental regulations
- Support human rights and compliance with all employment laws
- Attain a minimum of 2% On-Site Renewable Energy of 10% Off-Site Renewable Energy
- Commit to LEED philosophy for facilities and maintain the performance of current LEED certified building
- Ensure the safety of our associates through training and monitoring of the work environments
- Establish programs for the benefit of our community and associates
- Maintain an effective organization and processes to ensure continued economic viability
- Communicate our policy and metrics to all associates and stakeholders, and evolve it to stay current with activities and maintain our commitment to sustainability
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Rating System is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, and operation of high-performance green buildings. Nucraft products are designed and manufactured to meet multiple LEED criteria. Detailed Environmental Statements for each product line can be downloaded from both individual product pages or from the Product Information page under Design Resources on this website, providing quick and easy access to the green attributes of our products and the LEED criteria they meet.